🏛️ Lieu
Patrimoine & Culture
LUYÈRES
📍 Chaource, Aube
· 31 RUE LOUIS DOÉ, 10150 Chaource
À propos
Luyères is a commune of 442 inhabitants and 17.37 km². Its inhabitants are the Luyons and Luyonnes. This charming village, part of the Forêts, Lacs, Terres en Champagne community of municipalities, is located some ten kilometers northeast of Troyes, at the gateway to the Forêt d'Orient Regional Nature Park. The village has a long history, dating back to the 9th century. In his memoirs (late 12th century), Guitier, abbot of St Loup de Troyes, reports having seen in his abbey's archives a title by which King Charles the Bald donated the lands of Luyères and Colaverdey to the abbey. The commune once boasted a château, of which a section of wall and the outbuildings remain. Main sights: - St Julien church, a listed 15th and 16th-century monument that has been fully restored, - 16th-century Champagne statuary, - 16th-century and modern stained-glass windows, - 18th-century altar, - 16th-century rood screen (one of 20 in France). The church has been fully restored. Gourmet stopover at the "Au Champenois" brasserie for 13? Eglise St Julien After 35 years of closure and restoration, the church of St Julien de Luyères was inaugurated on Saturday September 19, 2009. The interior of the building, dilapidated and dangerously unstable, remained inaccessible for thirty-five years. Mayor Gérard Schild was delighted to celebrate its reopening, paying tribute to the perseverance of his predecessors, Jean Sebille and Serge Hibon. The extensive work was co-financed by the Département, the Région and the State. Dominique Voix, General Councillor, Hervé Aubriet, Regional Councillor, Mgr Marc Stenger, Bishop of Troyes, and Christian Rouyer, Prefect of Aube, all welcomed the enhancement of this shared heritage, seen as a cultural and spiritual legacy. Classified as a historic monument in 1958, this building of flamboyant medieval architecture is a hall church, representative of the buildings of the Troyes belt. The church has come a long way? Eight vaults had collapsed, and a forest of props supported the building, whose walls had been altered by lichen. Floors and stained-glass windows in poor condition had been removed, and furniture stored in dusty conditions? It took a great deal of skill and attention to detail to restore the beauty and soul of the building. Visitors and faithful alike will appreciate the splendid carved wooden rood screen dating from 1552, which has been moved forward one bay for better visibility. To visit the church, please contact Monique Lefebvre (Tel: 03.25.41.01.92) or Gérard Schild (Tel: 03.25.41.01.11). The rood screen The term rood screen comes from the Latin expression "JUBE, DOMINE, BENEDICERE" (Lord bless us). Originally, rood screens were located between the choir and the nave, and also featured a wooden barrier. The reason for this separation was that the people could not attend the consecration (transformation of water into wine and bread into the body of Christ). Almost all were destroyed after the Council of Trent and the French Revolution. Only around twenty rood screens remain in France (St Etienne du Mont in Paris, La Chaise-Dieu, Brou, etc.). Five are in the region (St Florentin, Villemaur sur Vanne, L?Epine, La Madeleine in Troyes and Luyères). The Luyères rood screen, 5 meters long and 2 meters wide, is made of wood. It rests on six ribboned and chipped posts with faceted capitals and heeled bases. It dates from the 16th century (1552). It is composed of 46 finely carved panels (16 on each side, 7 on the sides). These openwork panels are decorated with crowned fleurs-de-lis, coats of arms of France and the monogram of Christ, attributes of the Passion. When the priests preached, they climbed the rood screens to address the people.