🏛️ Lieu Patrimoine & Culture

Chapelle Saint-Jacques

📍 Mutzig, Bas-Rhin · Rue Saint Jacques, 67190 Mutzig
Chapelle Saint-Jacques
À propos
The chapel of Saint James is a must for pilgrims, located in Mutzig on the wine route, Alsace, about twenty kilometers from Strasbourg



Situated in the middle of the fields between Mutzig and Molsheim, it stands on the site of the village of Wege, destroyed in 1444 by the Armagnacs or by an epidemic. Built in 1626 by Amélie Zand von Merlen, second wife of Jacques de Landsberg in honour of James the Great, it became the property of the parish in the middle of the 19th century. A hermit, responsible for taking care of the building and the tiny cemetery, occupied the small house on the west side for several years until 1857. Above the south door, the high relief depicts St. John the Baptist, who was the first hermit to be buried in the cemetery
James the Major in pilgrim's habit, the 3 shells on his chest and the big "Dreimeister" on his head, a book in his right hand and in his left hand the bumblebee and a satchel. It is surrounded by 4 armoured coats of arms relating to the founder's family (Von Landeck, von Sursberg, Zand Von Merlen, Landsberg).

In 1866, the sanctuary was donated by the owners of the Franciscan convent of Hermolsheim. The chapel was saved in extremis by a carpenter in 1981.



Installed in the extension of the Rue des Champs, along the railway line.


The chapel is closed to the public and is only visible from the outside.

Lieux similaires à proximité