🏛️ Lieu Patrimoine & Culture

Square Henryot

📍 Langres, Haute-Marne · 52200 Langres
Square Henryot
À propos
Square Henryot, named after the mayor of Langres who decided to build it, is the only public garden in the city. Erected in 1889, the kiosk rests on an impressive rockwork base. Until the French Revolution, the parish church of Saint-Pierre et Saint-Paul stood opposite the Cathedral. It was in this church that two of Langres' illustrious children, Denis Diderot and Jeanne Mance, were baptized. The church's façade was flanked by a bell tower that towered higher than the Cathedral's towers. It was reserved for the watchman responsible for sounding the tocsin in the event of fire or alarm. Following the destruction of the church, the cathedral's south tower became the watchtower.

This square bears the name of a young nurse from Langlois (1606-1673) who left on a mission to Canada, where she founded the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal (1642). Her statue (by Jean Cardot) was unveiled on May 5, 1968. The square is named after the mayor of Langres between 1825 and 1831. The bandstand (1890) was a frequent venue for concerts by Langres' various brass bands. Welcoming and green, this square is not, however, a "natural" one. It was laid out throughout the 19th century on the site of a parish church, a canon's house and a cemetery! Before being the heart of the "religious city", this area may well have been the monumental center of the Gallo-Roman city, at the junction of the major axes (carda and decumanus). The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, built before 1231 and consecrated in 1245, stood in front of the cathedral, occupying the northern half of today's square. A parish church until the French Revolution, its facade was flanked by a steeple whose height exceeded that of the cathedral's. It was reserved for the watchman in charge of sounding the tocsin in the event of fire or alarm. It was in this church that Jeanne Mance and Denis Diderot were baptized. Destroyed in the early 19th century, along with a former canon's house adjacent to it (1828), a first forecourt was laid out in 1830.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sfr!2sfr!4v1477057142482!6m8!1m7!1sF%3A-1iyMmkeQsJI%2FV4un5PWqp_I%2FAAAAAAAAAXo%2FbA7jnPlTtZUybuIQFSYzBRjiUAqaoEAgCLIB!2m2!1d47.864201!2d5.335042!3f243.99680759228897!4f1.4811691104274018!5f0.7820865974627469" width="100%" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lieux similaires à proximité